After 25 years – and with internet usage approaching 3 billion people – the web has become a crucial part of commerce, social relationships, science and learning. As web inventor Tim Berners-Lee calls for internet users to “take the web back into our own hands” via a bill of rights, look back at key developments using our interactive timeline. More. . .
- Are you smarter than a school leaver?
- Stars shine on silo art in epic road trip
- Cheap travel anywhere on Earth within an hour using new rocket.
- World’s tallest sandcastle, standing at more than 16 metres, built in German city
- Groundbreaking projects vying for one of Australia’s top science prizes.
- Solo sailor arrives in Albany after historic Antarctic circumnavigation
- Are we sleepwalking to World War III?
- The most powerful supercomputer in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Emirates Team New Zealand win the 35th America’s Cup
- Cold War-era kits on surviving nuclear fallout unearthed by historian