Auckland’s 175th birthday is being celebrated in style at Anniversary Weekend on January 24-26. At the formation in 1840 of what was to become New Zealand’s biggest city, a small seaside party took place – but thousands are expected this month to attend a multimedia event at Queens Wharf and a free three-day party, including a concert performed from HMNZS Otago berthed alongside the wharf, with fireworks from barges in the harbour and from the Sky Tower. More . . .
- Are you smarter than a school leaver?
- Stars shine on silo art in epic road trip
- Cheap travel anywhere on Earth within an hour using new rocket.
- World’s tallest sandcastle, standing at more than 16 metres, built in German city
- Groundbreaking projects vying for one of Australia’s top science prizes.
- Solo sailor arrives in Albany after historic Antarctic circumnavigation
- Are we sleepwalking to World War III?
- The most powerful supercomputer in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Emirates Team New Zealand win the 35th America’s Cup
- Cold War-era kits on surviving nuclear fallout unearthed by historian