The world’s oldest person, Misao Okawa, has died in Japan a month after celebrating her 117th birthday.
The nursing home where she lived in Osaka said she died around 7:00am (local time).
On the occasion of her birthday early last month Ms Okawa — a mother of three, grandmother of four and great-grandmother of six — was one of only a handful of people still alive who had been born in the 19th century. More. . .
- Are you smarter than a school leaver?
- Stars shine on silo art in epic road trip
- Cheap travel anywhere on Earth within an hour using new rocket.
- World’s tallest sandcastle, standing at more than 16 metres, built in German city
- Groundbreaking projects vying for one of Australia’s top science prizes.
- Solo sailor arrives in Albany after historic Antarctic circumnavigation
- Are we sleepwalking to World War III?
- The most powerful supercomputer in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Emirates Team New Zealand win the 35th America’s Cup
- Cold War-era kits on surviving nuclear fallout unearthed by historian