Colombia has announced it has found the shipwreck of a storied Spanish galleon laden with gold, silver and precious stones, three centuries after it was sunk by the British in the Caribbean.
President Juan Manuel Santos declared that “this is the most valuable treasure that has been found in the history of humanity”, speaking from the northern port city of Cartagena, close to where experts made the hugely valuable find. Treasure hunters had searched for the ship for decades, described by some as the holy grail of shipwrecks. More. .
- Are we sleepwalking to World War III?
- The most powerful supercomputer in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Emirates Team New Zealand win the 35th America’s Cup
- Cold War-era kits on surviving nuclear fallout unearthed by historian
- Are table manners a thing of the past … and should we care?
- Exploring Auckland’s west coast beaches
- Most Travel-Restricted Places in the World
- Please don’t blow us to smithereens !
- The 10 most Australian values that make Australia so valuable
- New Zealand PM calls Australian immigration changes ‘disappointing’