American Luke Aikins has leapt into the void at 7,600 metres with no parachute or wingsuit, becoming the first skydiver in the world to land safely on the ground in a net.
Mr Aikins — who has done movie stunts — spent a year-and-a-half preparing the death-defying feat, plummeting at 193 kilometres per hour in Simi Valley, California.
More . .
- World’s tallest sandcastle, standing at more than 16 metres, built in German city
- Groundbreaking projects vying for one of Australia’s top science prizes.
- Solo sailor arrives in Albany after historic Antarctic circumnavigation
- Are we sleepwalking to World War III?
- The most powerful supercomputer in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Emirates Team New Zealand win the 35th America’s Cup
- Cold War-era kits on surviving nuclear fallout unearthed by historian
- Are table manners a thing of the past … and should we care?
- Exploring Auckland’s west coast beaches
- Most Travel-Restricted Places in the World